Rise up this mornin', smiled at the risin' sun,
three little birds pitch by my doorstep,
singin' sweet songs of melodies pure and true,

sayin' "This is my message to you-ou-ou-ou-"
~Bob Marley

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Well, Okay...


During our pre-service Peace Corps interview, I said I could do it, so I did. While our host prepared to walk to the kokue to harvest mandioca, Mark and I, too, got ready to go along. At this time, I was told by our hostess that I was to stay at the house with her. When I persisted, her husband said it would be better for me to work at the house, that it would be too hot for me, (a woman), in the fields. So, I did it- respected cultural norms and remained at the house to do, “women’s work,” for a little while, anyway…..

Did I mention that I pouted for a short time? Well, I did, but not for too long. I decided to get over it and get out into my community. I met a woman spinning wool and commenced with my community needs assessment questions. Her responses were entirely in Guarani, (most people speak a little Spanish, too), and to my surprise, I was able to understand enough to get some responses down!

As I continued down the dirt road to a neighboring community, I encountered a plantita and seed source gold mine! Paraiso Gigante, Yvyra’ro, Karuparu Kuru, and Yvyra Pyta, just the trees I had been looking for, as we decided to reserve a small part of our garden for a tree nursery as part of a reforestation project.

Further down the road, I heard the high-pitched hum of, “the bichos that come with the watermelons.” I was finally able to view one up close: a thick, greenish, 2 ½ inch fly-like insect with large lacey wings. I don’t know much else about them, other than there are lots of them in Arazape and that their song coincides with the ripening of the watermelons.

My attention was then captured by a hive of tiny sting-less bees, furiously tending their football sized hive, attached to a Timbo, (native Paraguayan tree), branch. The miniature honeycombs, arranged in perfect alignment, held the liquid gold produced by these ¼ inch abejas, (or kavakuera in Guarani).

After my two hour walk experiencing Arazape, (part of our daily routine), I emerged with new ideas, a breath of fresh air from the beautiful scenery surrounding me, and my attitude in check. Adjusting to new cultural and gender roles won’t be easy for me, but we’ll get it figured out. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you still tend to make lemonade out of lemons! Wish I could have seen the look on your face when asked to hang and do the women's thing! Hang in there Sue:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity to know the women and their culture; they have just as much to offer as the men - just a different perspective. As a woman you will be invited into this circle where Mark will not be allowed. Enjoy it!!
    -Kitty Schlosser

    ReplyDelete