Rise up this mornin', smiled at the risin' sun,
three little birds pitch by my doorstep,
singin' sweet songs of melodies pure and true,

sayin' "This is my message to you-ou-ou-ou-"
~Bob Marley

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dear Maxwell Third Graders,

Through  Peace Corps World Wise Schools, I am corresponding with a third grade class at awesome Maxwell Elementary! This is just a sampling of some of our first experiences here in Paraguay, complete with photos, (now that I have had a little time to figure out how to post photos- thanks for the nudge, Ash).

  Dear Maxwell Elementary Third Graders,

I hope you are all happy, having fun at recess and reading every day! I miss you all and everyone at Maxwell, so I wanted to write and let you know that I am doing well and learning lots about Paraguay and the wonderful people who live here.

Did you know that I was going to school just like you? I just finished with 2 and a half months of Guarani language class and lessons about the environment and culture in Paraguay. I worked hard, completed my homework every night, and gave my personal best, just like you do every day at Maxwell.

I am sending some pictures to show you some of my daily experiences here in Paraguay. I hope you enjoy them:
This was my first home in Paraguay!
I help cook over an open fire in the kitchen.

I wash my clothes by hand in a scrub sink

I say "Mba eichapa nekoe" (good morning) to my neighbor every morning as he heads to work in the sugar cane fields.

I plant trees with kids and learn about reforestation.


I learn technical skills with other volunteers,
then walk about 2 miles to get home, enjoying beautiful scenery!
 Two days ago, Mr. Alves and I completed our training and swore-in as official Peace Corps volunteers. We celebrated with other volunteers and Antolina, the woman we stayed with the past 10 weeks.
In two days we will move to our new Paraguayan community, Arazape, to begin our our Peace Corps service. We are very excited to get started with work and service!

Keep working hard at school and I will do the same here in Paraguay.

Love,
Mrs. Alves

1 comment:

  1. Yay, pictures! It's fun to see what you guys are up to and what your surroundings look like. We love you and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete